Mandela8 wishes to commission a freelance individual or organisation to deliver the following service:
Mandela8 Young Media Group Project Manager
FEE: £15,000 (60@£250) 12 months fixed term.
Timescale: Commencing November 2020.
Mandela8 is a Toxteth, Liverpool 8 based charity, aiming to improve the lives of local people and their environment, increasing community cohesion, inspired by the life, works and legacy of Nelson Mandela.
See our work at www.mandela8.org.uk
With the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, we are undertaking a major piece of work, uncovering and revealing elements of L8’s community heritage, with a focus on activism during the years of the anti-apartheid struggles, and on local people’s connections with Grade 2 listed Princes Park.
Reporting to the Chair and Mandela8 Steering Group, Mandela8 Young Media Group Project Manager will work closely with schools, youth groups, community organisations, cultural organisations including National Museums Liverpool, housing organisations and in collaboration with the Mandela8 Young Media Group’s Project Manager in the development and dissemination of Mandela8 produced educational materials.
Purpose of the Commission
- To identify and train young people (and support elements of training by others, e.g. National Museums Liverpool’s input into oral history training) in the capture of digital film and audio and in editing and production of materials that will be shareable on social media, websites etc.
- To work with young people to successfully record and edit community memories via workshops, audio interviews and film making with members of the community, particularly its elders
- Collaborating with others, and especially young people themselves, to produce a cohesive, easily accessible and manageable, multi-platform online distribution and communication system to host Mandela8’s digital output
- With participants and the support of others, establish a young person led, sustainable group of digitally skilled young people with the capacity to act as young journalists in the field of Liverpool 8 community heritage
- To support the Young Media Groups development towards sustainability and participants personal, social and professional skills development processes
Successful applicants will be friendly and approachable, self-motivated and productive, able to demonstrate
- an appreciation of the culture and heritage of Liverpool 8
- a commitment to producing work that amplifies the community’s voice
- experience of development work with partners in communities and with young people in and out of school
- experience of developing and supporting groups
- experience of leading collaborative projects
- communication & presentational skills
- organisational, logistical, budgeting and evaluation experience
- high levels of digital production and distribution skills and experience
In the first instance, Stage 1, potential service suppliers are invited to submit a short (750 words max) proposal summarising how you would approach, and any specific ideas you have for this piece of work, together with a document demonstrating suitable experience. The former should set out your approach to realising the purpose of the commission.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of Stage 1. Shortlisted suppliers will be invited to interview. No feedback will be provided for unsuccessful proposals at this stage.
Please email your CV and the aforementioned proposal to email@example.com
Deadline for submission: 12th November 2020